December 14, 2011

"Dad Gum!"

I could not be happier about how this little cake turned out for my son's 3rd birthday! Mater was a big hit - for my 3 year old and all his grandparents! One nice thing about a Mater cake is it doesn't have to be perfect because, Mater is, shall we say, a little rough around the edges...


Sorry, no step-by-step pictures. But here's the gist of how I made it:

I baked a cake (I actually ended up using 2 cake mixes because the 1st cake was so crumbly, but you should be able to do it with one cake mix) in 3 bread pans. Just divide the batter evenly between the three pans. Remove from pans after cooling for about 10 minutes and let cool completely before assembling & decorating. Once cooled, I stacked 2 of the 3 for the main (largest) part of the cake (just using a thin layer of chocolate frosting as the filling). I cut the 3rd cake into three even sections and stacked 2 sections together for the cab. I frosted the whole thing with chocolate frosting and then used:

1. marshmallow fondant to make the whites of the eyes & the buck teeth (there are several great tutorials available online if you just do a google search).
2. a smooshed mini marshmallow for the headlight (poke it into the frosting on the other side first where Mater has a broken headlight)
3. small chocolate donuts ("donettes") for the wheels
4. kit kat bar cut in half and put on 2 toothpicks for the side view mirrors
5. another kit kat bar for part of the engine
6. a reeses peanut butter cup for the round part of the engine
7. large googly eyes (put a dab of frosting on the back to stick them onto the fondant)
8. a clothes pin for the tow
9. a shoelace for the tow cable (I promise it was a new, un-used lace)
10. crumbles up graham crackers for the "dirt road" (spread a thin layer of frosting over your plate/dish holding the cake and sprinkle cracker crumbs over the frosting to look like dirt)



Quite Simple and pretty darn cute... "Dad gum!" that's my kind of project!








Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Rachel, I am totally blown away. My son (like most) is obsessed with Cars. Pretty sure I would be the coolest mom ever to serve such a cake for his birthday. Well done my friend!! :) Thanks for linking up to Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete